Free Fishing Days in Virginia are June 2–4, 2023
Whether its stripers on the coast, trout in the mountains, or anything in between, it is time to experience the fun of fishing in Virginia!
Make plans to take advantage of Free Fishing Days on June 2–4, 2023! Invite a family member or friend to get out and wet a line without having to purchase a fishing license.
Looking for a place to fish near you?
There are countless opportunities right in your backyard!
See our Where to Fish section to get started or join DWR at an event listed below!
DWR will be hosting the following events during Free Fishing Days weekend. Agency staff and volunteers will be on site with rods & reels, terminal tackle, and bait, ready to instruct you on how to fish. Events are free and no registration is required. If you’re interested in learning how to fish you can attend an event with family and friends at one of the following locations:
Saturday, June 3rd
- Northern Virginia: Burke Lake Park – 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (7315 Ox Rd, Fairfax Station, VA 22039)
- Central Virginia: Dorey Park – 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (2999 Darbytown Rd, Henrico, VA 23231)
- Eastern Virginia: Mt. Trashmore Park – 9:00 am – 1:00 pm (310 Edwin Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23462)
- Southwest Virginia: Hungry Mother State Park – 8:00 am – 1:00 pm (2854 Park Blvd, Marion, VA 24354)
Sunday, June 4th
- Fredericksburg: Festival del Rio Rappahannock (Old Mill Park): 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
No fishing license of any kind will be required for recreational rod and reel fishing during free fishing days and facilities use permits will also not be required during these dates. To increase angling opportunities, DWR has removed the restriction to fishing designated stocked trout waters for free fishing weekend. This will open over 2,900 miles of trout streams, in addition to numerous ponds, small lakes and reservoirs. Virginia’s diversified trout habitat offers a wide range of trout fishing prospects. All fishing regulations including size, season, catch limits, and gear restrictions will remain in effect.
DWR fee fishing areas still require a fee for Free Fishing Days weekend.
Need some information on how to get started fishing?
Check out the videos below.