Cracked Pepper N’ Garlic is one of our favorite flavors of jerky.
Please note: monitoring the venison’s internal temperature with a meat thermometer is essential to getting your jerky just right – not overcooked and not undercooked.
|1||Hind Quarter Venison Roast|
|1||Hi Mountain Seasonings Cracked Pepper 'N Garlic Blend Jerky Kit|
How to Prepare
Makes 5 lbs of Jerky
- Slice the venison, with the grain of the meat, into slices between 1/4 to 1/8th of an inch thick.
- Using the instructions supplied with the Cracked Pepper ‘N Garlic Blend Jerky Kit, measure and mix the cure and spice in the supplied shaker bottle.
- Lay the venison slices on a flat tray and season both sides with all the seasoning and cure in the shaker bottle. If there is any seasoning on the tray, slide the venison slices around until all the seasoning has adhered to the venison slices.
- Transfer the seasoned venison into a NON-METALLIC container and refrigerate for 24 hours. If the slices are thicker than 3/8”, increase curing time to 28 hours.
Oven Cooking Method (cooking time 1 to 1.25 hours)
- Line the bottom of the oven with foil to catch any drippings.
- Lay the venison, with space between each slice, on a cooking rack or jerky screen sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook at 200 degrees F. The oven door should be held open a crack with tin foil ball.
- Check the jerky, with a meat thermometer, during the cooking process until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. This will take approximately 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Taste the jerky to make sure it has the texture you like. Jerky made with Hi Mountain Jerky Kits will be moist and chewy, not dry and hard like commercially made jerky.
Smoker Cooking Method (cooking time 1.5 to 2 hours)
- Prepare the venison slices as described in the Oven Cooking Method
- Set the smoker to 200 degrees F.
- Check the jerky, with a meat thermometer, during the cooking process until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. This will take approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Taste the jerky to make sure it has the texture you like.
For more delicious recipes, visit Hi Mountain Seasonings Recipe Library.