This 62-acre, Albemarle County Park Lake has numerous crappie and large sunfish. A 12–15 inch slot limit has greatly improved the largemouth bass fishery. There is a good boat ramp, ample parking, and a handicapped-accessible fishing pier. The lake is open from 7:00 a.m. to dark.
Maps & Directions
The lake is located approximately seven miles north of the City of Charlottesville on Route 606, off Route 29, about one mile north of the Charlottesville/Albemarle County Airport. Map
Chris Greene Lake has quality fishing opportunities for largemouth bass, bluegill, and crappie. Channel catfish are stocked annually and also provide a good fishery. The 12–15-inch slot limit (all bass from 12 to 15 inches must be released) that was implemented in 1989 has helped maintain the bass population at a healthy level. Albemarle County draws the water level of the lake down several feet each winter to protect the beach from erosion during winter storms. This has apparently benefited the sport fish populations by forcing small fish into a smaller area where they are more susceptible to predation by bass and crappie. This keeps both crappie and bluegill from becoming overcrowded, and as a result, keeps their growth rates up. It also keeps bass well supplied with food and benefits their growth as well.
- Largemouth Bass – 5 per day, 12–15-inch slot limit (all bass from 12 to 15 inches must be released)
- Sunfish – There is no size limit for sunfish (bluegill). Anglers can harvest 50 sunfish (combined) per day.
- Crappie – There is no size limit on black crappie. Anglers can harvest 25 crappie per day.
- Catfish – There is no size limit for catfish. Anglers can harvest 20 per day.
- Gasoline-powered outboards are not permitted on Chris Greene Lake. Electric motors are permitted.
Facilities, Amenities, and Nearby Attractions
- Fee ✘
- Parking ✔
- Handicap-Accessible ✔
- Food Concession ✘
- Picnic Tables ✔
- Grills ✘
- Restrooms ✔
- Hiking Trails ✘
- Bike Trails ✘
- Viewing Blinds ✘
- Observation Platforms ✘
- Fishing Pier/Platform ✔
- Boat Ramps ✔
- Motorboat Access ✘
- Horsepower Limit ✘
- Electric Motor Only ✔
- Paddle Access ✔
- Camping ✘
- Primitive Camping Only ✘
Chris Greene Lake is the main attraction at Chris Greene Park. The park, which is owned and operated by Albemarle County, provides excellent facilities for a variety of family activities.
- A boat launch
- A fishing pier that provides access to deep, open water near the dam
- Canoeing and swimming, Canoe rentals are available and the swimming area is open and lifeguards are on site from Memorial Day through Labor Day
- A picnic shelter
- Picnic tables
- Restrooms (open seasonally)
For additional information, contact the Albemarle County Parks & Recreation Department at (434) 296-5844 or visit their Web site.