Enjoy an informative guided bus tour of Virginia’s elk country in scenic Buchanan County this fall. These public elk-viewing tours, offered by the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources (DWR) in partnership with Breaks Interstate Park, will travel through private lands, with special permission from the landowners, to view elk habitats that are otherwise inaccessible to the public. Pre-registration is required.Book Now
Dates and Times (Space Limited)
- Tuesday, September 5 @ 6 pm
- Thursday, September 14 @ 6 pm
- Thursday, September 21 @ 6 pm
- Thursday, September 28 @ 5 pm
- Thursday, October 5 @ 5 pm
- Tuesday, October 10 @ 5 pm
- Tuesday, October 24 @ 5 pm
- Tuesday, October 31 @ 5 pm
Plan to arrive 15 minutes before the tour starts.
What to Expect
Tours will last approximately 3 hours. We will have one or two designated stopping locations along the way where you can get out of the bus to see the elk. However, the tour and viewing of the elk will primarily take place from the bus. Tours will start and end at Southern Gap Outdoor Adventures Visitor Center, where restrooms will be available along with one stop during the tour.
How to Sign Up
Each tour will be limited to 25 guests who will be required to pre-register through the DWR website.Book Now
$20 per person
What to Bring
We suggest bringing a camera, binoculars, and water. Plan on wearing footwear appropriate for the outdoors and bring a raincoat and an extra layer. (There will be some opportunities to get out of the bus.)
- Participants under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Pets are NOT allowed on the tour.
- Unless otherwise instructed, please remain within arm’s reach of the bus.