What is the Virginia Trout Slam?
The Virginia Trout Slam is a challenge to anglers to catch all three species of trout (Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout, and Brown Trout) all in the same day. Both stocked fish and wild fish of any size count toward the slam, but catching all three in a wild trout stream is the ultimate trifecta. Chasing the slam not only offers a new challenge to anglers, but it also promotes some of our lesser known trout fisheries. It adds adventure to a fishing trip by forcing the angler to explore new streams in an attempt to complete the slam.
Trout Slam Submissions
Once anglers complete the slam, they are encouraged to submit their catch to the DWR Trophy Fish Program, via Go Outdoors VA. Log In, click on make a purchase, Click on Fishing, and choose Trout Slam Application. Once the form is processed, the angler will be mailed a Virginia Trout Slam sticker. Display it proudly, and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram (@VirginiaWildlife) and use #vatroutslam!
Planning Your Trout Fishing Trip
Anglers are encouraged to use the Interactive Trout Map to locate streams to complete the slam. There are many options to build your own trip, but below are some pre-planned trips you can try. Click on the waterbodies below to get directions. The directions will take you to public waters, but anglers need to be aware of and respect private property adjacent to the public sections. Hiking may be required to access certain waters. For stocked trout waters, consult the Daily Trout Stocking Schedule. Anglers are responsible for knowing the regulations and licensing requirements for each waterbody.
Pre-Planned Trout Fishing Trips
North West Virginia
- South River Special Reg: Stocked Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & Brook Trout
- Paine Run: Wild Brook Trout
- Muddy Run: Wild Brook Trout & Rainbow Trout
- Jackson River (HV / Spec Reg): Stocked Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & Brook Trout
- Laurel Fork: Wild Brook Trout & Brown Trout
- Crab Run: Wild Rainbow Trout
- Conway River: Wild Brook Trout & Brown Trout
- Robinson River: Stocked Rainbow Trout & Brook Trout
- Little Stony Creek: Wild Brook Trout
- Stony Creek: Stocked Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & Brook Trout
- Buffalo Creek Special Reg: (Get Landowner Permit): Stocked *Rainbow Trout & Brown Trout
- Lexington Reservoir: Stocked * Brook Trout
*Trout are stocked as advanced fingerlings
Regional Contact: Jason Hallacher (Assistant Fisheries Biologist) – (540)-248-9360
West Central Virginia
- Pedlar River: Stocked Rainbow Trout & Brown Trout
- North Fork Buffalo: Wild Brook Trout
- North Creek Special Reg: Wild Brook Trout & Rainbow Trout
- Jennings Creek: Stocked Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & Brook Trout
- Tye River: Stocked Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & Brook Trout
- South Fork Tye River: Wild Brook Trout
Regional Contact: Dan Wilson (Fisheries Biologist) – (434)-525-7522
South West Virginia
- Crooked Creek (Fee Area): Stocked Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & Brook Trout
- Big Stoney Creek: Wild and Stocked Brook Trout, Brown Trout & Rainbow Trout
- Little Stony Creek: Wild Brook Trout & Rainbow Trout
- Big Wilson Creek: Wild Brook Trout, Brown Trout & Rainbow Trout
- Fox Creek: Wild and Stocked Brook Trout, Brown Trout & Rainbow Trout
- South Fork Holston River: Wild Brook Trout, Brown Trout & Rainbow Trout
- Whitetop Laurel: Wild and Stocked Brook Trout, Brown Trout & Rainbow Trout
Regional Contact: Steve Owens (Fisheries Biologist) – (276)-783-4860Buy Your License
Special thanks to the Massanutten Chapter of Trout Unlimited for their support with the Virginia Trout Slam Challenge!