|COVID-19 & the VBWT: Be Safe While OutdoorsDWR encourages you to be safe while outdoors. Before heading out, first check with individual sites on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail to find out whether they are still open to the public. Information regarding closures is typically posted on a site's own website. Be advised that some sites, even if still open, may have certain public facilities closed during this time. If a site is still open, maintain CDC social distancing guidelines while enjoying the outdoors.|
Elevation: 1425 ft.
Lake Campbell at Massanetta Springs Conference Center provides easy access to an idyllic setting filled with water birds. Search the banks for great blue and green herons and the overhanging willows for a belted kingfisher. Check the wires and treetops for eastern kingbird and eastern bluebird. In the winter, the lake supports a variety of waterfowl. Search the flocks of Canada geese for mallard, gadwall and ring-necked ducks. A domesticated mute swan lives here; its size and pure white color dramatically standing out from the geese at first glance. In August and September, check over the water and along the banks for a variety of butterflies and dragonflies.
Lake Campbell is part of Massanetta Springs Conference Center, a private facility, mostly reserved for registered guest use. However, the facility has graciously permitted birders and wildlife viewers to observe Lake Campbell under the following guidelines. Please respect the facility’s wishes.
- Lake Campbell is completely closed to the public for the months of June and July while summer camp is in session.
- While observing the lake, stay on the Massanetta Springs Road side of Lake Campbell. Do not cross the bridge or dam.
- Park in one of the lots closest to the Historic Hotel and walk over to the lake. Do NOT park in the driveway of the white house just above Lake Campbell. (That area is private property and well posted with signs.) It would also be helpful to Massanetta staff if you put a note on your dash reading, “Parked for VA Bird & Wildlife Trail.”
- Fishing is only permitted to registered Massanetta Springs guests.
Location: Off SR 687, Central, VA 22801
From I-81 near Harrisonburg, take exit 247A and merge onto US 33 E/E Market St toward Elkton. In 2.6 miles, turn right (southwest) onto SR 687 and continue for 0.8 miles until the lake appears to the right. Park in one of the lots closest to the Massanetta Springs Conference Center’s Historic Hotel and walk over to the lake. Do NOT park in the driveway of the white house just above Lake Campbell. (That area is private property and well posted with signs.) It would also be helpful to Massanetta staff if you put a note on your dash reading, “Parked for VA Bird & Wildlife Trail.”
From the previous site on the Lost Shoe Loop of the VBWT:
From the Arboretum, turn right onto University Blvd. Travel 1.1 miles to US 33/Market Street. Turn right on US 33/Market Street and continue for 1.7 miles to Rt. 687. Turn right on Rt. 687 and proceed 0.7 miles to the lake on the right. See parking instructions above.
Location & DirectionsView on Google Maps
- Site Contact: Massanetta Springs: 540-434-3829, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Access: Closed to public June-July. Open to public August - May.
10 Most Recent Bird Observations Added to eBird
- Canada Goose
- Mute Swan
- Red-bellied Woodpecker
- Blue Jay
- Northern Mockingbird
- Eastern Bluebird
- Ring-necked Duck
- Bald Eagle
- Belted Kingfisher
Seasonal Bird Observations