|COVID-19 & the VBWTBefore heading out to visit a site on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail, be sure to check if that site has any COVID-19 policies or closures in place. This information is typically posted on a site's own website.|
Important Notices For This Site
|Notice of Logging ActivityLogging activity is taking place in the Twin Hollows area of Clinch Mountain WMA to improve wildlife habitats. Logging trucks will be transporting forest products along Laurel Bed Lake Road and Tumbling Creek Road daily. All WMA visitors are advised to drive slowly and use caution, while traveling to and from Laurel Bed Lake and while traveling along Tumbling Creek Road. This logging activity was carefully planned with wildlife habitat, sustainability and safety in mind. Thank you for your patience and understanding.|
Elevation: 3674 feet
Laurel Bed Lake lies within Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area and is a manmade lake created by the damming of Big Tumbling Creek. The lake and the surrounding area are popular venues for bird-watching. For a description of the birding opportunities, refer to Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area.
- To Access the Site: A Restore the Wild Membership, Virginia hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
- Some areas of the WMA are subject to seasonal closures and some roads may be closed during inclement weather.
- Hunting could be occurring at this site April 1 – May 31 and September 1 – February 28th, except on Sundays. If you are visiting this site during hunting seasons, please wear blaze orange for safety.
Location: Laurel Bed Lake is located within Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area (WMA), which is north of the town of Saltville, Virginia.
Location & DirectionsView on Google Maps
- Site Contact: Virginia Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries Region 3 Office: 276-783-4860, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Access: Often inaccessible in winter. Restore the Wild Membership, hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
Birds Recently Seen at Laurel Bed Lake, Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area (as reported to eBird)
- Canada Goose
- Spotted Sandpiper
- Common Loon
- Turkey Vulture
- Bald Eagle
- Red-shouldered Hawk
- Pileated Woodpecker
- Northern Flicker
- Red-eyed Vireo
- Blue Jay
Seasonal Bird Observations
- Primitive Camping
- Boat Ramp