|COVID-19 & the VBWT: Be Safe While OutdoorsDWR encourages you to be safe while outdoors. Before heading out, first check with individual sites on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail to find out whether they are still open to the public. Information regarding closures is typically posted on a site's own website. Be advised that some sites, even if still open, may have certain public facilities closed during this time. If a site is still open, maintain CDC social distancing guidelines while enjoying the outdoors.|
Elevation: 3674 feet
Laurel Bed Lake lies within Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area and is a manmade lake created by the damming of Big Tumbling Creek. The lake and the surrounding area are popular venues for bird-watching. For a description of the birding opportunities, refer to Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area.
- To Access the Site: A Restore the Wild Membership, Virginia hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
- Some areas of the WMA are subject to seasonal closures and some roads may be closed during inclement weather.
- Hunting could be occurring at this site April 1 – May 31 and September 1 – February 28th, except on Sundays. If you are visiting this site during hunting seasons, please wear blaze orange for safety.
Location: Laurel Bed Lake is located within Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area (WMA), which is north of the town of Saltville, Virginia.
Location & DirectionsView on Google Maps
- Site Contact: Virginia Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries Region 3 Office: 276-783-4860, email@example.com
- Access: Often inaccessible in winter. Restore the Wild Membership, hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
Seasonal Bird Observations