|All CWD Mandatory Sampling is Cancelled for 2020 Due to COVID-19All CWD Mandatory Sampling is Cancelled for 2020 Due to COVID-19.|
Whole Deer Carcass Transport Out of Disease Management Area 2
To prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease (CWD) to additional areas of Virginia, whole deer carcasses and parts containing brain or spinal tissue from deer originating in DMA2 are prohibited from being transported into a non-DMA county*.
Carcass parts that can be legally transported out of DMA2 to anywhere in Virginia include:
- Boned out meat
- Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached
- Hides and capes with no heads attached
- Clean (no meat or tissue attached) skulls and skull plates with or without antlers attached
- Antlers with no meat or tissue attached
- Upper canine teeth, also known as “buglers,” “whistlers,” or “ivories”
- Finished taxidermy products
Whole Deer Carcass Transport Within DMA1 and DMA2
Whole deer carcasses and parts containing brain or spinal cord tissue originating from within DMA2 may be transported anywhere within both DMA1 and DMA2*. Whole deer carcasses and carcass parts containing brain or spinal tissue originating from within DMA1 may be transported anywhere within DMA1 only*.
Whole Deer Carcass Transport Into DMA2
Whole deer carcasses and any carcass parts originating from anywhere in Virginia, except for DMA1, may be legally transported into DMA2.
* Whole deer carcasses or deer parts that contain brain and/or spinal tissue may be transported out of a Virginia DMA directly to authorized locations in another state/province (please see that state’s/province’s website or the CWD Alliance website). Prior to transporting a carcass out of state from a Virginia DMA, it is the hunter’s responsibility to confirm these authorized locations with the destination state/province and to comply with all applicable laws, regulations and restrictions related to CWD, to include importation and transportation of carcasses along their route of travel to their destination. Whole deer carcasses or deer parts that contain brain and/or spinal tissue may not be transported through any part of Virginia not included in a DMA.