|COVID-19 & the VBWT: Be Safe While OutdoorsDGIF encourages you to be safe while outdoors. Before heading out, first check with individual sites on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail to find out whether they are still open to the public. Information regarding closures is typically posted on a site's own website. Be advised that some sites, even if still open, may have certain public facilities closed during this time. If a site is still open, maintain CDC social distancing guidelines while enjoying the outdoors.|
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries’ Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area is 5,217 acres of woodlands along the Chickahominy River managed primarily for upland species. The uplands, mainly hardwood and pine stands, are punctuated by several mowed, cultivated, and successional fields. Marshy guts and tidal creeks cut into the forest and further accentuate the site’s diverse habitat. The main north-south road (Rt. 621), as well as a number of side trails, provides access to the extensive woodlands. Visits may yield sightings of many upland and wetland plant and animal species including deer, and turkey and nesting and migrant passerines. From bluffs overlooking the Chickahominy River, herons and bald eagles can often be seen fishing.
- To Access the Site: A Restore the Wild Membership, Virginia hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
- Hunting could be occurring at this site April 1 – May 31 and September 1 – February 28th, except on Sundays. If you are visiting this site during hunting seasons, please wear blaze orange or blaze pink for safety.
Physical Location: off of Rt. 621/ Eagle’s Nest Rd.
From State Route 5, eight miles east of Charles City Courthouse, take Rt 623/ Wilcox Neck Rd north. Travel about 3.0 miles to Rt. 621/ Eagle’s Nest Rd.; turn right and travel east 4.0 miles to the main parking area at the boat launch. Kiosks with pull-offs/ small parking areas are located along the way and provide access to rustic trails.
From the Previous Site on the Plantation Loop of VBWT:
From Sherwood Forest Plantation, return to SR 5 and turn right (east). Follow SR 5 approximately 5.0 miles to Rt. 623. Turn left on Rt. 623 and follow it for about 3.0 miles to Rt. 621/ Eagle’s Nest Rd.; turn right and travel east 4.0 miles to the main parking area at the boat launch.
Location & DirectionsView on Google Maps
- Site Contact: VA Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries, Region 1 Office: 804-829-6580, BirdingTrail@dgif.virginia.gov
- Season: All
- Access: Daily. Restore the Wild Membership, hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
10 Most Recent Bird Observations Added to eBird
- Mourning Dove
- Yellow-billed Cuckoo
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird
- Great Blue Heron
- Green Heron
- Cooper's Hawk
- Belted Kingfisher
- Red-bellied Woodpecker
- Downy Woodpecker
Seasonal Bird Observations
- Hiking Trails