|COVID-19 & the VBWTBefore heading out to visit a site on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail, be sure to check if that site has any COVID-19 policies or closures in place. This information is typically posted on a site's own website.|
Elevation: 2392 ft.
This site and MLI05 are both part of the Highland WMA. This site provides additional access to the over 14,000 acres of this wildlife management area.
- To Access the Site: A Restore the Wild Membership, Virginia hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
- Hunting could be occurring at this site April 1 – May 31 and September 1 – February 28th, except on Sundays. If you are visiting this site during hunting seasons, please wear blaze orange or blaze pink for safety.
Access to this site requires fording the Bullpasture River. At periods of high river flow, trail users should exercise appropriate caution.
Location: Hupman Valley Rd off of SR 612, Williamsville, VA 24487
From I-64 in Charlottesville/Waynesboro, continue west and take the I-81 S exit toward I-64 W/Lexington/Roanoke. Then, take exit 220 for SR 262 toward US 11. Continue onto SR 262 N for 6.6 miles. Take the US 250/Churchville Ave exit and turn left (northwest). In 30.9 miles, turn left (west) onto SR 678/Bullpasture River Rd and continue for 5.9 miles. Turn left (southeast) onto SR 612 and continue for 1 mile until Hupman Valley Rd appears to the right. Follow to the parking area on the right.
Location & DirectionsView on Google Maps
- Site Contact: VDGIF, Region 4 Office (Verona): (540) 248-9360; BirdingTrail@dgif.virginia.gov
- Access: Seasonally opened gate; no parking when gate is closed. Restore the Wild Membership, hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
Birds Recently Seen at Highland Wildlife Management Area – Bullpasture Gorge and Mountain (as reported to eBird)
- Turkey Vulture
- Hairy Woodpecker
- Blue Jay
- Black-capped Chickadee
- Ruby-crowned Kinglet
- Red-breasted Nuthatch
- Dark-eyed Junco
- Eastern Towhee
- Pine Warbler
- Black-throated Green Warbler
Seasonal Bird Observations
- Hiking Trails
- Primitive Camping